Lutheran Church - History...
- A group of concerned Christians withdrew from Peace Lutheran Church
of Hutchinson, Missouri Synod. They approached the Wisconsin Evangelical
Lutheran Synod for spiritual guidance and financial assistance
- On April 23rd, the congregation organized with 39 voting members
and 93 communicant members
- On April 26th the first service was held in the Episcopal Church
with Pastor John Raabe of Litchfield serving as the vacancy pastor
until a resident pastor could be called. A Sunday School was begun
immediately, with the first classes held in the Paul Boettcher home
- April 29th, In a special meeting of the congregation, the resolution
was adopted to purchase two lots, located on Fifth Avenue between
Lynn Road and Grove Street, from Henry Wendorff at a cost of $1000
the Wendorffs donated a third lot.
- On October 25th, Rev. Harold Hempel was installed as the congregation's
first full time pastor. At once the congregation entered a building
program with the assistance of a $25,000 loan from the Church Extension
Fund. Mr. Wilbert Kottke, Mr. Fred Rannow, Mr. Peter Miller, Mr. Leo
Rannow, and Mr. Richard Slyter were appointed to the building committee.
- The cornerstone was laid in the new church in a special service on
July 24, 1954, and the church was completed for dedication on
November 14, 1954. A ranch style parsonage, begun in March of 1954,
also stood completed for dedication on the same day.
- The Grace Lutheran Ladies Circle was organized on January 4, 1954
with 25 ladies.
- The congregation became self-supporting in 1957. A new organ was
dedicated in a special service in March of 1957.
- Pastor Hempel followed a call to Michigan and was succeeded by
Pastor Francis Machina
- In November, Pastor Machina Resigned.
- In May, Candidate Douglas Bode was assigned to Grace Congregation,
and was ordained and installed on July 10, 1966.
- In late Summer of 1970, Pastor Bode accepted a call to establish
a new mission congregation in Denver, Colorado. The congregation
then called Pastor Roland Scheele of Arlington, Minnesota, who was
installed on December 6, 1970
- Pastor Scheele resigns due to health reasons. The congregation
then called Rev. Gail Johnson, who was installed as pastor on
June 9, 1974.
- The mortgage on the Church property was paid off, and a ceremony
recognizing this achievement was held in the service on November 16, 1975.
- In the Fall of 1977, Pastor Johnson accepted a call to serve two
congregations in South Dakota and Pastor Lloyd Hahnke served as Vacancy
Pastor until April of 1978
- Pastor Edmund Schulz was installed on April 16, 1978
- A second building program was begun, which included the edition of:
a large narthex, new church entrance, church offices, multi-purpose
room, lavatories, and a concrete surface parking lot.
- A new organ and church lighting were installed.
- Pastor Schulz retired in the Fall of 1989, and Pastor David Rosenow
was installed on November 5, 1989.
- The church basement was remodeled.
- Grace celebrated it's 40th anniversary with the burning of the
second mortgage. The parsonage was also remodeled that year,
including: new steel siding, new windows, and the edition of a
- In January, Pastor Rosenow accepted a call to Wisconsin and
Pastor Karl Schultz served as Vacancy Pastor until June.
- Pastor Brian Ewings was installed on June 14, 1998. A new roof
was constructed on the Church as well.
- The congregation celebrated its 50th anniversary with a catered
dinner and special service in April. A number of past pastors
and members were in attendance.
- A new sound system was installed
- The church is once again added on to, with the addition of an
elevator and a lobby area.
- Pastor Ewings resigned and Pastor Daniel Reich of Immanuel in Hutchinson
served as the Vacancy Pastor. The congregation decided to call a candidate
from Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary, and Candidate Gregory Tobison was assigned
to Grace. Candidate Tobison was ordained as a Pastor and installed on
July 16th, 2006 in a 2:00 PM service. A lunch followed the service.
- Grace begins broadcasting its church services on HCVN Channel 10